Wednesday 2 October 2013

Early Entry for GCSE:Pragmatism or folly?

Last night I hosted the #mathscpdchat for @NCETM on twitter.

The topic, rather coincidently was Early Entry. I really enjoyed the discussion that took place with many teachers,Early entry for GCSE Maths: pragmatism or folly?  with most highlighting the issue surrounding early entry being a blanket approach. However, some comments were also made about the variety of qualifications made available for Post-16 students.

A Levels are among the most robust but we need alternatives that all pupils have access to. One option would be to provide a qualification that encompasses mathematical skills that pupils will use in every day life and certain jobs. I know that we have functional maths qualifications but who actually takes them?




The jump from GCSE to A Level is massive and many pupils find this a jump too big. So is it because pupils find Maths hard that we only have a 13% uptake at A Level or is it status issue? Who would ever admit that they cant read and write? I don't know anyone who would gladly shout this out from the rooftops. However, every day I hear all types of people from professionals to young children who will admit that they cant do Maths. Is this the case? Well I know many professionals such as nurses and even teachers (not Maths teachers may I hasten to add) who say that they can't do Maths. Is this true? Well I certainly know that nurses use Maths all day, calculating the dosages required for medicines they administer. I also know that teachers deal with data every day and also use their mental Maths skills in many ways during a lesson. So how can we improve the status of Mathematics? There is NOT an easy solution to this one, if there was it would have already been solved. What we need to do as Mathematics teachers is raise the profile of Mathematics. We need to make Maths fun, enjoyable and relevant to ALL students. I believe there needs to be a campaign to highlight which celebrities use Maths (and not just Carol Vordaman). The image of a Mathematician needs to change, most people think Mathematicians are GEEKS who wear horrendous tweed jackets with patches. I will gladly admit that I am a Maths geek but I have never worn a tweed jacket and I have many more interests that make me the person I am.

So, when you are planning your lessons, think carefully how your students will perceive Mathematics. Make it relevant and fun. Link it to jobs and the real life and try to generate excitement for the subject.

I would love to hear any ideas you have on how to change the status of Mathematics.


No comments:

Post a Comment